Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bean Bags for Baby

Yesterday during nap time I whipped up a couple of new toys for baby Emmett... Bean bags!


I found some adorable vintage napkins with 1970's patchwork print on them at the thrift store a while back. They were really small about 8 inches square. I drew an owl shape and a frog shape  on a sheet of paper and cut it out to use as a pattern. (Yes, that is a frog... really, don't judge! Emmett thought it was a perfectly tasty frog, thank you very much!)

 I decided to make them double layered since the napkin fabric was pretty thin and I didn't want them falling apart and Emmett eating the "stuffing". I just traced the animal shapes onto muslin, and sandwiched the napkins right sides together between two layers of muslin. Then I stitched quickly around the outline and left a small space un-sewn for turning it right-side out and filling them. The owl is loosely filled with dry garbanzo beans (chick peas) and the frog with brown rice. After I filled them I just hand stitched the opening shut making sure everything was super secure. 



After shaking them, weighing them, and biting them a bit, I think Emmett decided the bean filled owl was his favorite. It makes a nice loud "whack" when hit against the floor, and it rattles pleasantly (loudly!) when shaken. The rice just make shooshing sounds, it feels shooshy too. (And yes, shooshy is a word... I just made it up!)


He crawled all over the house yesterday dragging his new toy with him. Serious business that, the logistics of moving oneself with a favorite object in tow!

Sorry for the graininess of the pictures, it was a dark grey rainy day yesterday and not very conducive to taking pictures of fast moving babies!

8 comments:

  1. Perfect little toys for such a cute little guy! I love it when my kids really take to a toy I make for them or even a meal I cook for them, it completes the circle, of the time and love I put into creating something to be received with the same love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute.
    He likes them.

    Cheers, Gonny

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable! He is so cute and seems to enjoy his new toys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I think your bean bags are wonderful--and I totally knew it was a frog. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive been meaning to make some of these for my 13 month old as he is always grabbing my heat pack! I bought some dried lavender too, to add to the rice/beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 11 month old girl loves the bean bags I made for her... ours are not this cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel
    I love your creations & it looks like Emmett does as well! I can't believe how big he has grown!!! So cute too!!
    Hope you are going well. Have a wonderful week my friend.
    Blessings
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachel, I'm sorry but I've muddled up your email address. I have your swap partner name and details for the pin cushion swap. please contact me at charlottepowellbrooks (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails