Friday, July 5, 2013

Ultrasound





On Wednesday I packed up the kids and we set off for the city an hour from home. My midwife sent me to a high risk O.B.* for my 20 week ultrasound. Rodrigo took the afternoon off and met us there. I explained to Claire that we were going to the doctor's and they were going to take some pictures of the baby in my belly. And they might even tell us if she was going to have a little brother or sister. She thought about that for a minute and when I asked her what she thought it might be she said "Maybe it'll be a Ninja!!" And then showed me her best ninja pose. Ninja's are very cool in Claire's opinion right now!




And this was my face when I thought I saw what I saw flash across the screen... It wasn't a ninja! 


At least I'm pretty sure it wasn't a ninja (the jury is still out on that one!)... it was little girl parts!!!


Yes, it was a huge shock. I was completely sure that this baby was a boy! During my only other girl pregnancy I felt completely nauseated for the first two months. With all four of my boy pregnancies I felt just fine, with almost no nausea at all. I was so sure with this one! About two nano-seconds after Rodrigo snapped the above photo of my shocked face I crumpled into tears and the poor ultrasound tech had to pause what she was doing because I was sobbing so hard and she couldn't get a focus on anything. I didn't know I wanted a girl, I mean I didn't want anything really, or rather I would have been thrilled no matter the sex of the baby. But when I saw that she was a she, I was so happy about the whole situation, I couldn't stop crying. Ah...the joys of pregnancy hormones- and occasionally out of control emotions that go with them!


* I am going to a local birthing center and being seen there by a midwife for all of my prenatal care. However I am still considered high-risk because of my previous c-section even though I've had 2 VBACs (VBAC is a natural childbirth after a previous c-section) since then. My "advanced maternal age" probably doesn't help either. (insert eye-roll) So I have to be monitored occasionally by the high-risk guys in the big city!

12 comments:

  1. So exciting! Don't you love the *advanced maternal age*...lol.. I'm 36, but still feel like I'm in my 20's. I just had a baby 10 weeks ago and was commenting to my doctor that this time recovery was harder(I've unfortunately had 3 C-sections so far) he commented that it's because it's harder to heal as we get older...ugghhh...that made me feel real good )-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are super excited! I'm 37 and I'll be 38 just before the baby is due. I feel great, like I did when I was in my 20's. But apparently the calendar and the doctors say I'm of advanced maternal age now...blah!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I have been stalking your page for this!!! So exciting. Congratulations! I too went to the same high risk OB office as you for "extra" monitoring due to gestational diabetes with #4, but all my care was at a birthing center (maybe the same one as you?) and that's where he was born too. Another little girl, what a blessing. :) I bet Claire is thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Same birthing center. I remember you mentioning it to me once before. I'm not going to be allowed to birth with the midwife though... The insurance powers that be decided that a repeat planned c-section, is preferable for me to allowing me to give birth naturally. (and this is even after 2 successful VBACs!) I guess we'll just have to wait and see if I make it to the hospital on time to birth there. Or if I "accidentally" give birth at home again like I have "accidentally" the past two times! ;-) Even the midwife agrees that it is a stupid rule, but she is powerless to do anything about it. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
    2. Have you used this center before with other pregnancies? I'm not sure who is there now, it's been revolving doors the last year! Oh I wish my favorite midwife Chris was still there, she was the absolute best! I just read on their Facebook page that they have a new well check up NP starting this month. I didn't care for the last one, so I will probably start taking Bennett back there for check ups. Maybe I will see you there! :)

      I agree, very dumb rule! I assumed you would have another "oops" home birth with this one. ;)

      Delete
    3. I've never used this center before. With my other two United States pregnancies I went to an O.B. office in the town were we lived before. And I just didn't quite make it into the hospital for the births. For the first birth the O.B. was really surprised that I had the baby at home, for the second, I think she was suspecting something before hand... She wasn't too surprised when I came in for my last prenatal check up with a baby in tow. :-)

      Delete
    4. You will love it. There is a huge big back story that made me stop going after his birth which I will explain to you in person one day, but I really liked the center itself. Great nurses. Lots of happy memories there.

      Should something happen and you decided to leave them, I just wanted to throw out that one of the midwives that worked there during my pregnancy, is starting a new center in the same town. If you ever need that info, just email me. :)

      Delete
  3. Rachel, we are so happy for you all. Can't wait to see the little sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Rachel I am so happy for you:) We have a secret and haven't "shared" it with anyone but family yet:) I am guessing you are referring to the same birthing center I probably went to. I went there with my 4th child but ended up at the hospital because I chickened out of a natural birth, lol. I have a friend that goes to a midwife about an hour away from my house and she does vbacs. If you are interested in the info, send me an email and I will get it from her. I am still hoping to meet up with you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on more pink!!! How exciting!!! :) I've heard the whole advanced maternal age, I'm just a year younger then you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH this is just so exciting Rachel!!! Congratulations on another precious little girl!!! I love the photo of your expression!!! So perfectly captured! Hoping you are going well & praying for you!
    Blessings
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails