Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The first gift for the sixth babe








A month or two ago before I even knew the sex of this baby I asked my friend Sarah a question about yarn, rainbow-y yarn actually.  I wanted to make a blanket that looked like a rainbow. I wasn't sure what kind of yarn to look for to get the effect that I wanted. So I described what I wanted my finished blanket to look like and asked if she knew what I needed to look for to get it.

She emailed me back and said Yes! She did know what it was I needed to look for in a yarn, and described exactly what to look for. Even better, then she told me that she would love to dye and spin some for me, since rainbows are her favorite. She said it could be my baby shower gift from her! I couldn't think of a better thing to ask for for a baby shower, at all, so I agreed very happily!

She dyed the roving (100% merino) and started spinning. I caught glimpses of it on her blog, it was so exciting to watch it taking shape. Then about a week ago we finally were able to get together for a little visit. I gave one of her daughters the doll I had made and she gave me the finished yarn. It was gorgeous! So soft and springy feeling and such vibrant pretty colors, just what I had envisioned!

So I have begun to knit a very simple garter stitch baby blanket for my sixth babe, who we now know to be a sweet little girl. The yarn feels so nice to work with, and it is knitting up really quickly, and being only garter stitch is really nice. With as many interruptions as I have at any given time (I did mention this is the SIXTH baby right??) I need something very easy and mindless to work on, otherwise I'd never be able to get it done before the baby is here and needs it. One purple section and most of an aqua section are all I've managed in short bursts here and there over the past two days, but I am pretty confident that I'll be able to get it done before cold weather sets in and this tiny new girl arrives, she's due in November!

Linking up with the Yarn Along.

P.S. Sarah has a great etsy shop where she sells her art yarns, be sure to check it out!

4 comments:

  1. The yarn is beautiful! I can't wait to see how it looks when you finish the blanket. Congrats on your sixth sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors on the blanket and I love simple knits. I am always on the look out for simple patterns. They are so peaceful. Can't wait to see the blanket. Congrats on the sweet baby girl, my first daughter was a November baby. She got married this past Mother's day. She is a dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it is going to be lovely! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails